The Home Front, by Kim Sherman, Your Realtor
Kim Sherman | November 30, 2022 | 10:25 AM CST
It’s the Most Wonderful Time of The Year!
As the weather gets colder, a warm fire, whether in a fireplace inside your home or a firepit on your patio, make sure you stay not only warm and toasty, but safe as well!
- Make sure you have working smoke detectors, outside of, and inside all bedrooms; change their batteries every year
- Consider having a professional chimney sweep inspect your fireplace and chimney each year
- Make sure the chimney flue is open during use and close it afterwards to keep cold air out
- Keep decorations and stockings a safe distance from the fire
- Make sure you have proper ventilation
- Keep a safety screen in excellent condition to keep embers from getting out of your fireplace
- If using an electric fireplace, make sure you use proper cords and use a proper outlet
- If burning real wood, make sure it’s seasoned and dry and not the type to “pop” such as cedar
- If using a firepit outside, make sure it’s sitting on a non-flammable base, such as dirt or concrete
- Make sure all fires are out and thoroughly extinguished before going to bed
- Don’t ever burn Christmas trees or wrapping paper in your fireplace
Wishing You and Yours a Wonderful & Safe Holiday Season!
Prevent Candle and Tree Fires
While candles add style, elegance, and warmth to holiday decor, make sure you do all you can to keep your home safe from accidental fires caused by candles.
- Use sturdy candleholders
- Keep candles on sturdy surfaces
- Blow candles out before they burn all the way down
- Give burning candles a one-foot clearance on all sides
- Never leave children alone with a burning candle
- Never leave burning candles unattended
- Don’t burn candles where people sleep
- Consider using fake candles
The joy of choosing a fresh Christmas tree and the wonderful pine fragrance is undeniable! But make sure you do all you can to prevent Christmas tree fires.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets
- Keep trees away from heat sources
- Water live/real trees regularly
- Get rid of trees before they dry out
- Consider a fake tree
*Don’t forget, I’m never too busy for you and your referrals!